May 29, 2015
Good afternoon and Happy Friday.
First of all, thank you to everyone for helping make 2014-2015 a pretty successful school year. The accomplishments of our students and staff are too numerous to list. Two school-wide recognitions that I am particularly proud of include LMS being named a 2014 National School Of Character and (as you will see below) our being designated as a 2015 Missouri Gold Star School. Such recognitions result from the ongoing efforts and dedication of our current and past students, staff, and parents.
As I alluded to in previous emails, our LMS staff will experience some significant turnover for the coming year. Now that Board approvals have been completed for the most part, I can communicate the following regarding staff departures and changes:
· FACS – Debra Beckrich. Amy Bullman (grade 8 Math) will be moving to FACS for 2015-2016. The second opening in FACS will be filled by Shaina Fall, who comes to us from Rockwood.
· Counselor – Beth Mothersbaugh. This position will be filled by Yvette Sykes, who comes to us from Hazelwood.
· Science – Liz Petersen (grade 7), Mike McBride (grade 6), and Beth Steck (grade 7). Adam Durham, coming from Cleveland Naval Junior ROTC, and Christine Earnhart, coming from O’Fallon (IL) District 90, will fill the two grade 7 positions. Lisa Stein, from Macon R-I, will fill the grade 6 position.
· Mathematics – We have restructured a portion of our Math department to better target our intervention efforts. Erin Heckendorn (grade 6) and Jennifer Gardner (grade 7) will move to intervention and support roles in all grades. The opening for Jennifer Gardner will be filled by Megan Grossbauer, who comes to us from Northwest R-I. The opening for Erin Heckendorn will be filled by LMS Math teacher Suzanne Costanza. The opening for Amy Bullman (above) will be filled by LMS Math teacher Matt Strayhorn.
· Library/Media Specialist – Narcisse Laidlaw. This position will be filled by former Apogee teacher Melody Frese. The Apogee position is currently posted, with interviews scheduled in the next few weeks.
· Art – Michelle Graf. This position will be filled by Melshonda Lowe-Dobbins, who is transferring over from LHWHS.
· Social Studies – Steve Braun. This position will be filled by Quentin Alimayu, who comes to us from SIU-Carbondale.
· Communication Arts – Lynn Moeckel (grade 8) and Marshaun Johnson (grade 8). One opening will be filled by Rachel Renna, who comes to us from Northwest R-I. The other opening will be filled by former grade 6 teacher Velma Valadez. The opening created by this transfer will be filled by Nikki Weiss, who comes to us from University City.
· Teaching Assistants – Hanna Bremerkamp and Slava Prokhorets. These openings, as well as two part-time Supervisory Aide positions, will be posted later this summer.
· Vincent Flewellen (MultiCultural Studies, Social Studies, Communication Arts). This opening has been posted and interviews will be conducted soon.
The above changes were due to retirement, relocation, and/or professional advancement. As we wish the departing staff the best in their future endeavors, we are also excited to welcome the new staff that will continue the excellence established at Ladue Middle School.
CONGRATULATIONS and THANKS
Congratulations to our 2015 Greenwood Memorial Award recipients, Seema Patil and Nevan Giuliani, who were announced at our Farewell Awards Assembly last Friday. Congratulations, as well, to the following Greenwood Award finalists: Carolina Alisio, Rose Coughlin, Rebecca Cunningham, Grace Hardester, Blake Berg, Robert ‘Trey’ Fruend, Max Kornfeld and Charles Yeldham.
Congratulations to Dr. Tiffany Taylor-Johnson. In recognition of her hard work, leadership and commitment to the community, Tiffany has been selected to receive a prestigious 2015 Excellence in Education Award at the St. Louis American Foundation’s 28th Annual Salute to Excellence in Education Scholarship and Awards Gala. This event will be held on Friday, September 25, 2015 at America’s Center in St. Louis. The St. Louis American Foundation, along with its education partners, has distributed more than $3.5 million in scholarships for high-potential, local minority students as well as community grants.
Congratulations to Eileen Duncan, who has been named the Grand Prize Winner for the Haan Craft, Design-a-Pillow Contest for 2015-16. Her design will be made into a sewing project that will be offered by the company beginning next fall. She will also receive a $100 gift card. Congratulations Eileen!
Congratulations to our LMS teachers, students, staff and parents. On Thursday, May 21, 2015, the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education announced that eight Missouri public schools, including Ladue Middle School, have received one of the state’s highest honors by being recognized as Gold Star Schools. The program recognizes schools that perform at high academic levels or that perform at high levels while serving a significant proportion of disadvantaged students.
Beginning on Monday, June 1, the LMS Office staff and administrators will begin our summer four-day workweek schedule. Our office will be open from 7 am to 4:15 pm, Mondays through Thursdays, and will be closed on Fridays. This schedule will extend through the week of July 13 – 16. We will resume our five-day workweek on Monday, July 20.
During the grade 6 field trip to the St. Peters Rec Plex last Friday, a blue bag from the St. Louis County Library was misplaced. The last name of CHICOINE is written in black marker on the outside and has a shark towel, white goggles and blue and white swim trunks. Might someone have inadvertently picked the bag up and taken it home? If so, please contact our school office so that it can be returned. Thank you.
Current 7th grade students/Immunizations for next year
Students entering 8th grade in the state of Missouri are required to receive the TDaP (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) immunization. This is usually given by a doctor at age 11 or 12. If your child has not received this immunization, please consult your physician. If you have records showing that your child has received it, please provide them to the nurse's office.
If you are not currently receiving LMSPA email news blasts but would like to, please click on the following link to subscribe:
Information regarding Ladue Board of Education meetings and work sessions can be found on boardbriefs.blogspot.com
Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
In closing, I want to extend my warmest wishes to our departing grade 8 students and their families. Thank you all for a wonderful three years at LMS. We hope all the best for you in your high school years.
I would also like to wish our returning students, parents, and families a wonderful, relaxing, and safe summer.