May 22, 2017
Today is Records Day at LMS, when faculty and staff return to submit grades, box up classrooms, and close out the school year. This is always an interesting day of transition between the energy and chaos of the end of the year and the relative quiet of summer.
CONGRATULATIONS and THANK YOU’s
Congratulations to the Ladue Middle School students competed in the US Chess Federation SuperNationals VI tournament May 11-14 in Nashville, TN. SuperNationals VI was the largest rated chess tournament in history, with 5577 competitors and 1586 teams from 50 states. Students competed in tournament sections according to their grade and US Chess Federation rating.
- Arya Bhushan (7) and Katie Eisenman (8) competed in the K-8 Under 1000 section, both finishing in 20th place among a field of 249 players. As a team, Arya and Katie finished in 34th place out of 44 teams.
- Roshen Chatwal (7) and Joshua Fundler (7) played in the K-12 Under 1200 section, with Roshen finishing in 22nd place among a field of 365 players. As a team, Roshen and Joshua finished in 49th place out of 69 teams. Roshen also competed in the K-9 Blitz tournament.
- Benjamin Liu (7) competed in the K-12 Under 1600 section, finishing in 16th place out of 490 players.
- Ian Rothstein (7) played in the K-8 Under 750 section.
- Benjamin Shoykhet (6) and Andrew Teh (6) competed in the K-6 Championship section. Benjamin finished in 20th place out of the field of 152 players. As a team, Benjamin and Andrew finished in 13th place out of 19 teams.
- Iris Zhou (7) played in the K-8 Championship section.
On May 12 the Missouri State Team competed in the 2017 National MathCounts Competition in Orlando, FL. The four-person team consists of 3 LMS students and 1 Parkway student.
The Ladue mathletes are eighth-graders Jason Ding, Stephen Jiang, and Anthony Wang. As a team, Missouri (3/4 Ladue) placed 18th, an admirable showing in a very competitive environment.
Individually, Jason Ding took the 34th position and Stephen Jiang placed 39th.
Congratulations to the LMS Science Olympiad team members and coaches for their 14th place finish at the National Science Olympiad Tournament last week in Dayton, OH.
Team members are: Fayzan Ali, Ashna Chali, Yuvan Chali, Harry Chen, Jason Ding, Stephen Jiang, David Ju, Aditya Kondepudi, Shelei Pan, William Pan, Marina Sha, Emily Shaw, Cindy Wang, Daniel Xu, Max Yang, Christopher Ye, Eric Yin and Lucy Yue.
In addition to a number of Top Ten finishes, the team medaled in four events:
- Microbe Mission, 1st Place - Cindy Wang and Christopher Ye.
- Road Scholars, 1st Place - William Pan and Daniel Xu.
- Ecology, 3rd Place - Ashna Chali and Stephen Jiang.
- Hovercraft, 6th Place - Eric Yin and Lucy Yue.
Thank you to everyone who had a part in planning our yearly 8th Grade Farewell Ceremony, which took place last Friday morning:
- Sarah Schwartz, Grade 8 Principal.
- Mary LoBosco and members of the LMS Office Staff.
- Tom Lowery and student members of the 8th Grade Choir.
- Kelly Hake and Stacie Grant.
- Program Cover: Students Glasha Belyaeva, Charlotte Sobol, Kaitlyn Holland, and Talia Warticovschi.
- Program Artwork: Students Lily Frank, Jordan Blucher, Anna Wilson, and Stewart Dove.
- 8th Grade Slideshow: Julie Schuster.
- Program Setup: Milan Rakic, JB Tate and Steve Bell.
- Program Technology: Karl Kindt and Curtis Nguyen.
Congratulations to our 2017 Greenwood Award finalists Sydney Clawson, Katherine Eisenman, Udonne Eke-Okoro, Rebecca Lang, Lucy Yue, Samuel Cobin, Gabriel DiAntonio, Andrew Fruend, Stephen Jiang and Alexander Zhou. Added congratulations to our 2017 recipients Katherine Eisenman and Andrew Fruend.
Congratulations and thank you to our 2016-17 8th grade students, their parents and family members. Best wishes to each of you as you begin your high school years.
Our office hours May 22 through June 2:
- Monday through Friday; 7:30 am to 3:30 pm
- We will be closed on Memorial Day
Our office hours June 5 through July 21:
- Monday through Thursday; 7:00 am to 4:30 pm
8th Grade Parents
Are you going to have an incoming freshman at Ladue Horton Watkins High School for the 2017-2018 school year? If your child will be a freshman and is planning on participating in athletics, the Athletics & Activities Office must have a current physical and parent permission on file. These forms must be dated on or AFTER February 1, 2017 to be valid for the 2017-2018 school year. Please visit the athletics tab on the LHWHS website to download the needed forms (http://lhwhs.ladueschools.net/athletics/), or stop by the Athletics and Activities Office.
The first day of fall sports practice is July 31, 2017. We encourage students to turn in the needed paperwork to the Athletics Office as soon as possible. Athletes will NOT be permitted to practice without a current physical and parent permission on file with the Athletics Office.
As a reminder, all athletes must pay the $75 activity fee prior to the first MSHSAA sponsored event. The fee can be paid after June 1, 2017, one of three (3) ways: cash, check or online through www.myschoolbucks.com.
Attention rising 7th and 8th grade parents!
Order your school supplies for Ladue Middle School.
The LMSPA is coordinating a school supply sale for the 2017-18 school year. Your child should have brought home a school supply order form in his/her backpack this week (first week of April).
The grade level packs include items from the Ladue Middle School generic school supply lists. The packs DO NOT contain PE clothes - these can be purchased at LMS at a later date. Make sure when you are ordering that you are buying supplies for the grade your student will be in for the 2017-18 school year. Please note that some teachers may have additional class-specific items that will need to be purchased once school begins.
Order online using the Educational Products Inc. website by June 12 for delivery to school by packet pickup and Community Night in August. Go to www.educationalproducts.com/shoppacks and enter school ID LAD024. Sales tax will be added at checkout.
NURSE DANI NOTES
Immunization Requirement Changes
In the past year there have been some immunization changes required by the state of Missouri that will affect students going into 8th grade next school year. Students entering 8th grade will now be required to have a Meningitis immunization and a Tdap immunization prior to starting 8th grade. Your child may have already had both of these immunizations!
Please check with your pediatrician to verify if these have been completed. If not, please begin making appointments at your earliest convenience. Take advantage of the upcoming breaks to get this requirement out of the way. Do not wait until August when physician offices are booked.
You can send the updated immunization records that reflect that your child has these immunizations. The nurse's office will accept these records immediately - no need to wait until summer.
You may email, fax, or send in a copy of the record to the nurse's office.
5 Ways to Stay Healthy This Summer
- Apply sunscreen daily
- Drink plenty of water
- Eat breakfast
- Get outside to exercise
- Wear sunglasses
You can access the Ladue Middle School Parent Association website at http://mylmspa.com and subscribe to email blasts from the LMSPA at http://www.mylmspa.com/eblast-newsletter/
Information regarding Ladue Board of Education meetings and work sessions can be found at http://boardbriefs.blogspot.com
Although information will be pushed out over the next few months, as needed, this will be my final weekly Parent Update as Ladue Middle School Principal. It has been an eventful and fulfilling four years in this position. I would like to thank everyone for their support during this time and wish you all the best over the summer months and into the coming school year. I feel very confident that Dr. Tiffany Taylor-Johnson and the LMS team will continue to keep LMS as one of the premier middle schools in the St. Louis area.
If you are traveling over the coming Memorial Day weekend, please be safe.
Once again, thank you.
Gregory Baber B.S.Ed., M.Ed., Ed.S.
Principal, Ladue Middle School